Programs Overview Law and Policy New! Repository Quality Assurance Program Identity Theft Privacy Criminal History Records NICS Non-criminal Justice Background Checks Compendium of State Privacy Legislation Sex Offender Registries Surveys Interstate Identification Index Compact Council Tribal Violence Prevention TA Program Technical Assistance Law and Policy Team Law and Policy Publications High-Tech Crime Information Sharing
Law and Policy
SEARCH's Law and Policy Program improves public safety by helping develop responsible justice information management laws, policies and procedures. This is accomplished through research and projects that examine emerging trends and issues that have the potential to impact the collection, maintenance and exchange of justice information.
To achieve program initiatives, the Law and Policy Program endeavors to:
- Monitor and inform policymakers on developments in justice information management.
- Assist in establishing policies that promote balance between societal interests and individual rights.
- Provide policymakers with resources to support the adoption of effective information management policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Assist operational staff in day-to-day decisionmaking.
- Develop resources to improve state participation in the National Fingerprint File, the National Sex Offender Registry, and other national efforts.
|See Featured SEARCH Publications on Criminal History Law and Policy topics||Meet the Law and Policy Team|
Documents in the NewsThe NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007
Questions and Answers
State Estimates of Available Records Information
Adam Walsh Act
SEARCH releases Survey on State Compliance with the SORNA, April 2009
Final Guidelines, Adam Walsh Act Title I, Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA), June 2008
Office of Sex Offender Sentencing, Monitoring, Apprehending, Registering, and Tracking (SMART Office), U.S. Department of Justice
Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006
Real ID Act
U.S. Department of Homeland Security Real ID Webpage
Technical Assistance Request help from SEARCH.