Programs Overview Law and Policy High-Tech Crime Information Sharing Justice Information Exchange Model (JIEM®) Podcasts Justice Information Sharing Podcasts Public Safety Communications Podcasts Public Safety Management: Lessons Learned and Best Practices Technical Assistance COML and COMT Training Communications Interoperability Resources Information Sharing Team Publications
Partnering and MOU DevelopmentTopic/Title: "Partnering and MOU Development"
Participant: Laura Phillips, Executive Director, Bay Area Urban Area Security Initiative, California
Listen to Full Interview (duration time: 34:30:00)
Questions: Introduction: Can you tell us a bit about the Bay Area Regional Interoperable Communications System, BayRICS, and share your background with it?
- Broadly speaking, what sort of partnering challenges do you face with such a large and complex region?
- The portion of your project funded by a COPS grant built upon a memorandum of understanding, or MOU, for management of the UASI region designated in 2006.
- One key interagency connection piece of BayRICS will be provided through the P25 Inter Subsystem Interface, or ISSI.
- The Bay Area has an interesting mutual aid relationship with the Sacramento region.
- Itís a bit outside of your COPS-funded project, but your success with partnering in the Bay Area has carried over to the broadband wireless arena, too. Recently, you served as the governance working group co-chair for a recent national broadband task force.
- In closing, what are your take-away messages for the success of others partnering in future projects?
Written transcript of interview
These podcasts are made possible through the COPS 2007 Technology Program. They are part of a continuing technical assistance and training program designed to share information between grantees and others who may benefit from their experiences. Interviews recorded and presented as podcasts will focus on practical guidance for information sharing and communications interoperability projects.
This project was supported by Cooperative Agreement #2007-CK-WX-K002 by the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. Points of view or opinions expressed in this podcast are those of guests and moderators, and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.